A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Nancy's White Enchiladas



There is a dish that I'm not able to cook right now that Himself and I absolutely love. I've dubbed it Nancy's White Enchiladas (though I'm not sure if they qualify as enchiladas or are just very fancy burritos), after my mom who inspired this dish. I only had a memory of the taste and the fact that it was poultry of some kind in a cream based sauce.

My mom only served these a few times when I was a teenager, so all I had to go on was the fluttering flame of a distant memory. I remembered they were good, they had turkey in them (at least I thought it was turkey), and they were cheesy. I wished my mom had written it down. If she did, it disappeared after she died and no one could remember it. I was the only one who really remembered her making them, though my dad told me he could remember something like them being served a few times.

It took me years to replicate the flavor I remembered. Several attempts at it were met with failure (in more than one way). I almost gave up but I decided to try it just one more time. I got it. But of course, I couldn't just leave it at what my mother did. I served them a few times that way and then I started experimenting again.

Here then is the base recipe altered with the things I've found over the last few years made it taste different but still hold true to the white enchilada recipe they were started from.

Sauce
1 lb Monterey Jack, shredded
1 lb Pepper Jack, shredded
1 16 oz container sour cream
2 T minced garlic
1 medium onion, diced
2 T chili powder
1 tsp chipotle powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
4 tomatillos, chopped finely
2 small cans diced roasted green chilis

Filling
Sauce
2 c diced poultry (turkey or chicken)
2 c cooked rice

½ lb Monterey Jack, shredded
½ lb Pepper Jack, shredded

12 large flour tortillas

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. Pour sour cream and cheeses into a large pan. Heat on medium until all the cheese is melted. Toss in the remainder of the ingredients. Stir until well blended and everything is heated through. Set aside quarter of the sauce in a smaller pan and put to the side.

2. Spray large glass baking dish with something to keep the tortillas from sticking.

3. Take remaining sauce, the poultry and the rice and mix together. Spread liberally in each of the tortillas, rolling them up so the ends are tucked in. When finished, cover the tortillas with the sauce, and then the rest of the cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

You can cut the rolled up enchiladas in half before you put the sauce and cheese on to extend the value of the recipe. I usually do because these are usually pretty large. Expect if you're not feeding a large group or a ravenous teenager or two that you're going to have leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment