A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Book Reviews - Hidden, Land of Shadows

Two books to review today. The first is Hidden by Megg Jensen. The other is Land of Shadows by Jeff Gunzel. Both were picked up when they were listed as free e-books on Amazon. Land of Shadows is still free.

I found out about Hidden from the author herself on her Facebook page. I'd been wanting to read it for some time so I jumped at the chance to get it. I wasn't disappointed. Tressa is an amazing character. Her fierce independence and her drive to do something to help her people is amazing. Bastian, the one man she loves but couldn't be with due to the breeding lottery they found themselves caught up in, is completely devoted to her as well. When they and another friend venture out of the fog that's surrounded the village since before she was born, what they find there will leave them changed forever.

At first I found it hard to get into, but that quickly changed. I devoured the book in two days. Ms. Jensen has a captivating way of telling a story, and her characters are real people. They have their good points and their bad. They make mistakes. They pay for those mistakes. The world she's built here as well is very interesting. The settings are such an integral part of things that they almost seem to be a character in and of themselves.

You can find Hidden here.

Land of Shadows was found when I was perusing the Amazon Top 100 Free list one day. This is where I get a lot of my books, for the most part fantasy and sci fi, and I decided when I read the blurb that this one looked a little interesting. I was right.

I admit, I anticipated it being the standard “prophesied quest fulfillment”. I really wasn't that far off, but that only scratches the skin of this story. Eric is perfectly happy with his mundane life. When demons come and destroy that illusion, he must now find his way in the world. His best friend sticks with him and the two of them set off together with a mysterious young woman to find out where his future will lead him.

This was another book that sucked me in after a few chapters. I found myself bored partway through but continued to see if it got better. It did. I finished the whole book in two days. I couldn't bring myself to leave the story. There's a second book to the series that I wish was on the free list. I want to read it. It's gone on my Amazon wish list so I can pick it up when I have the chance.

You can find Land of Shadows here.

No comments:

Post a Comment