A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Monday, July 22, 2013

Monday Maundering - Stupidity in the world of customer service

I've discovered a, for me, highly entertaining website. Not Always Right is a collection of stories about customer service situations that you wouldn't think are in the norm. But after 20 years of working in some kind of customer service or front office role, I can tell you that I believe all of these stories are true. There are other "Not Always..." pages to look at and they're all rather amusing in a disheartening sort of way. But I specifically want to talk about Not Always Right.

Are people truly this fundamentally stupid? Maybe not all the time, but I can relate to so many of these stories it's not funny. I've been accused of being racist because I wouldn't give someone their own way. I've dealt with misogynistic assholes. I've even dealt with misandry and feminazis that wouldn't let a male help them even though I didn't know how to do what they were asking and had to ask my male co-worker to talk me through it. People like this actually exist out there.

Why are people so willfully ignorant? How can they get through life not understanding the basic rules of being out in public? Why do people in some cases still treat women like we don't know anything? In other cases, why do they treat women like we should know everything? Why get mad when someone doesn't know something? Why get mad when you're told no?

These are things that we as the consumer need to be aware of in ourselves. I've had to cut Himself off a few times when he's done things that would irritate or upset a cashier. I've blown up at cashiers when I was having a bad day. I've at least apologized for it, but too many people don't apologize and don't care that they've upset someone.

Take a look at a few of the stories on that website. Look at yourself in the mirror when you do and say, "I never want to end up on this site." Then do your best not to end up on the site. You never know who's watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment