A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Monday, September 13, 2010

30 Days of Writing - Day 3

(Doing a double post so I'm caught up, will resume normal posting schedule tomorrow.)

3. How do you come up with names, for characters (and for places if you write about fictional places)?


There are two answers to this question.  The first is for naming the characters.  If I have a specific meaning in mind I hunt websites like www.babynames.com to find the name that fits the meaning.  If I'm looking for random names, I go to Behind The Names random name generator.

However, I also have to like the sound of the name.  If it doesn't flow right, or if it doesn't fit the character even with the correct meaning I won't use it.  I tend to use hybrid names - 2 or more names combined to make one - when I don't like what I find.

When it comes to naming places, I can honestly say I don't know where I get my names.  They seriously just randomly turn up in my dreams or when I'm writing.  I'm sure there are things that influence them but I don't know what they are.  For me, naming places is harder than naming characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment