A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

30 Days of Writing - Day 16-19

16. Do you write romantic relationships? How do you do with those, and how "far" are you willing to go in your writing?


I do write romantic relationships in my books.  In the Aleran stories, it's a theme that underlies what I do.  In The Fallen it's what ultimately saves Cel's life.  With my Psionics books, it's the loss of the woman he loves that sends the MC into the insanity that ultimately leads to the destruction of the major bad guy.  I've got a book where it's the only thing keeping the MCs alive because they're dying through pretty much the whole thing (don't ask...I STILL don't get that one either and I'm writing the damn thing.)  As for how "far", I do the stereotypical movie "fade to black".  I've tried writing out the sex scenes and they come out so canned and contrived that I've given up on that.

17. Favorite protagonist and why?


Favorite.....huh?  I get attached to all my protagonists.  Yes, I have times where one is easier to write about, but for the most part I love ALL of my protagonists.  I don't have one favorite.

18. Favorite antagonist and why?


This may be a little easier to answer.  One of my favorites is the Grey King out of my Aleran books.  He's a demi-god of death with delusions of godhood.  He's sarcastic, sadistic, and very elemental in his desires but very convoluted in his plans to achieve those desires.  My other favorite is Lucifer - yes, THAT Lucifer - because he turns out to be such a smooth-talking, amoral bastard that I hate him but love writing him in The Fallen.

19. Favorite minor who decided to shove him/herself into the spotlight and why?


Taereah in the Aleran books.  She was always meant to be a background character, a small part where she was just there.  But she developed a personality and a life of her own and demanded to play a larger role in everything.  She became central to Raghnall's story.  Taereah is a dragon trapped in a human body.  She's ascerbic, quick-witted, slightly arrogant, and ends up being easily blinded by Raghnall to what he's doing.  She also recognizes her mistakes and is willing to deal with them personally rather than try to blame others for them.  I just love the woman that Taereah has become and I've enjoyed getting to know more about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment