A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Monday, September 13, 2010

30 Days of Writing - Day 2

(Ok, I know this should've been done yesterday.  I actually forgot I was doing it.)

2. How many characters do you have? Do you prefer males or females?


I do a lot of story lines where I have multiple characters where I have to handle the POVs, the setting shifts, and the plot twists for each of them.  I love having large casts of characters to work with.  It gives me ample opportunity to say, "I don't want to work with X today.  Y needs some help on one of his/her scenes.  I'll work with Y today."

For example, in the high fantasy WIP I'm working on now I have three protagonists.  The antagonists shift with each POV so each character has his or her own enemy that they are working against.  They each have their own supporting cast of characters too - at least until I get them all in the same place to bring the climax about.

Another example would be the UF story lines I'm working on.  In "The Fallen" we follow the adventures of one woman as she struggles to understand who she is and where she comes from.  She meets up with some colorful people, finds love, and ultimately sacrifices a lot to stop the end of the world.  In "Fang Faces" (yes, I know - lame title) we follow two different couples through the whole thing.  We start with 4 separate individuals who quickly become two functioning teams and eventually become something more to each other.

As for the gender of my characters, interestingly enough I've come to realize most of my protagonists are male.  Which is very odd for me since I have a very hard time writing males. But two of the three protagonists in my epic high fantasy WIP are male.  My UF couples are male/female pairings.  Both of my sci fi stories follow primarily male protagonists, although there are a couple of females who get the spotlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment