A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

V is for Very, Very Lucky

Yesterday I went into the ER with what I thought was yet another kidney stone.  They'd dope me up, flood me with saline, and I'd go home a few hours later.  That was what I expected to have happen.  What did happen was a lot more frightening.

They did a pelvic CT scan, like they usually do when someone comes in complaining about kidney stones.  The doctor - a very polite and caring man that I wish I could get every time I go in there - told me with sincere confusion that there were no kidney stones on the left side of my body - which is where my pain was.  But there WAS something concerning on the right side.  There was a dark spot on the CT scan that may or may not have been a scar.  He wanted to check it out by doing another CT scan, this time with the contrast dye.

I figured there wasn't anything wrong with letting him go ahead and do it.  So I went through the scan.  He came back to me with the news that they were admitting me to the hospital.  I wasn't suffering from a kidney stone.  I had a blood clot in the vein that leads to my right ovary.

I think I kind of went into shock.  I just stared at him for a minute.  Then it clicked in my head what he'd been saying.  At that point I started panicking a little.  The doctor noticed my distress and told me they were just going to run some routine tests and that I'd be able to leave the next day (today) as long as the other two doctors working on my case cleared me.

Needless to say that didn't comfort me much, although it was enough to know that it wasn't something completely life threatening - yet.  It was that "yet" part that bothered me.  The nursing staff was right there, helpful and cheerful in spite of delayed medication orders and conflicting directions.  They got everything sorted out and got me taken care of.

I have a great deal of respect for the men and women at that hospital.  The ones I dealt with were compassionate, helpful, and infinitely cheerful.  They made sure I had all of the information I needed.  They made sure I was educated properly on the types of medication I'm going to have to take.  They hounded the doctor until he finally signed the clearance for me to leave.  They went to bat for me, and for all of their patients, just like they're asked to do.

I don't know what triggered the pain so reminiscent of a kidney stone, but I do know that it was vital for me to get to the ER when I did.  If the clot had broken up, or moved up into my lung, there could have been even more trouble.  I am truly grateful for the fact that something inspired me to go into the ER so I could get this taken care of.


  1. Wow, that must have been scary! We are all blessed with a conscience, something that tells us everything is not well, or something's up. It just depends on whether we follow that prompting.

    I'm glad it's all worked out for you.

    Duncan In Kuantan

  2. Wow, lucky indeed! Glad you're okay and it got caught quickly. :)

  3. I'm so glad you're all right! I can't imagine how frightening it must be to receive news like that. Also, it sounds like you went to a great hospital. But I hope you don't have to go back.

  4. Your readers are grateful too. Thank goodness you went to the doctor!

  5. Oh, Anni! I am so glad you are alright! I am so sorry that I am just finding out about this now. Please take care of yourself and REST!

    Hugest Love and Hugs.