A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A little taste of my Beauty and the Beast retelling

Another snippet this week. Just a hint of the story behind my Beauty and the Beast retelling. This is "Beauty" as a child, talking to her mother. My version is different from all of those I've read. I don't know if it's different from all of those out there, but I hope this little bite intrigues you.

 The healer was waiting for her. “She's absolutely terrified and we can't calm her. She's been calling – well screaming – for you for nearly an hour.”
“Let me see her,” Adina said. Master Weiss led her into the room where Ceinwen was weeping. “Kitten? Kitten, mama's here. What's wrong?”
“They're coming. They're coming and they're going to take us all away. They're going to send me to the castle with the princess in the garden. There's a monster behind the princess that I can't run away from,” Ceinwen said, her words slurring slightly because of her wounds.
Adina knelt beside her daughter's bed. Master Weiss left to give them some privacy. “What do you mean, kitten?”
Ceinwen turned her bandaged face towards her mother. Her eyes were still wrapped so she reached out with her uninjured hand. Adina caught it in hers. “We were all grown but something happened. Men came and the others left me alone. I didn't go with them. I was taken to the castle where the monster hides behind a princess in a garden. My friend there needed me to help him but the monster kept trying to kill me so I couldn't.”

1 comment:

  1. Interesting snippet. I haven't read too many beauty and the beast retellings, but I enjoy them and can't wait to read more of yours.

    ReplyDelete