A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Monday, June 10, 2013

Monday Maundering - Why I love/hate summer

I have a love/hate relationship with summer. I'm not one of those people who likes going out and spending days in the sun. I can't swim so I don't go swimming. I don't go camping or hiking, though honestly I would love to go camping again. I do miss that. And fishing. I don't do either of those anymore.

I hate the heat. That's the biggest problem with summer for me. I also don't like sunny days. I miss the gray summers when we lived in Washington, where it didn't always rain but we had clouds most of the time and it rarely got above 80 degrees and usually stayed in the 70's. Here it's pushing the 90's already and summer hasn't even officially started yet.

Summer does give me an excuse to wear my tank tops, though I never really needed much of an excuse to wear them. I wear them year round, just with the addition of a sweater in the colder months. I don't like wearing shorts. I don't wear sandals.

But summer does have something going for it. Roses. This is the time when all the rose bushes are blooming. In fact, there are a lot of flowers that bloom in the summer around here. I love looking at gardens and one of my favorite places to go is the Rose Garden in Julia Davis Park. The smell is heavenly.

There's also ice cream. I know you can eat ice cream year round, but it's a lot more satisfying in the summer. The snow cone shops are all open now too and it's fun to occasionally indulge in one of those. Barbecues are awesome and this is the time of year when everyone who can is out with their grills.

Summer is also a good time to go to the park. The river is flowing at a decent level. The ducks and geese are all gathering in the ponds. Other animals are out and about and you're more likely to see something than in the colder months. It's a lot of fun, and it's the only hiking I get to do right now. It's worth the sun block to enjoy some time in the park, especially in the ones where trees shade the paths and the grassy areas.

Then there's the zoo. All of the animals are back from their winter care facilities. The zoo is full of people and the educational programs are in full swing. It's a lot of fun to go and people watch as well as gawk at the animals.

So there are things I hate about summer, and there are things I love about summer. Hence my love/hate relationship with the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment