A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

She's a child

Every faerie tale must start somewhere. These are the opening scenes of my Snow White retelling.

 “Dairine, where are you?” The impatient voice of Braith, her nurse, made her giggle. She pulled herself deeper into the bush. “Dairine, your father has sent for you. You don't want to keep him waiting, do you?”
Dairine squirmed out from under the bushes. “What does papa want?”
There you are,” Braith said. “Look at you. Now we'll have to clean you up and that'll mean your father will have to wait that much longer to see you.”
No he won't.” Dairine closed her eyes and thought of the light. She knew she was glowing. When she opened them again, her dress was clean and her hair was back in its braid. “See? All better.”
Braith slapped her. “You know better than to do that,” she said. Dairine started crying. “Now we'll just see what your father has to say about this.” She dragged Dairine back towards the keep.
Dairine stumbled and was yanked back to her feet. She cried even harder. Braith threw her into the study, almost sending Dairine headlong into her father's desk. “What is this?” Lord Gwillym asked. “I said bring her to me, not reduce her to tears in the process.”
Now, you tell your father what you did,” Braith said.
I was playing in the garden when Nonna came looking for me,” Dairine said, still crying. “I hid under one of the flower bushes because I didn't know you wanted to see me. When she said that's why she wanted me I came out right away. She got angry because I was dirty and it would take longer to clean me up so I'd be later seeing you. I used the light to clean myself up. Nonna hit me and dragged me in here.”
I see,” Gwillym said. “Now, you know I've asked that you not use your light unless it's important, and only if you ask me first. Normally I'd be very angry, but I don't think there was any harm in you using it this time.” He looked at Braith, his expression growing angry. “I don't remember giving you permission to strike my daughter.”
It's sometimes the only way you can get through to a child,” Braith said.
I see,” Gwillym said. “I don't approve of such measures and if you strike my daughter again I will turn you out.”
Yes my lord,” Braith said.

No comments:

Post a Comment