A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Friday, May 9, 2014

Geeky fandoms for movies/tv series


How many of you have seen the meme going around that says something along the lines of “being a geek means you're passionate about something”? I've seen that one on my feed on Facebook several times over the past couple weeks. It made me think. What science fiction/fantasy shows/movies am I passionate about?

The first things that came to mind, and if you've known me for a while you should be able to guess this, is Firefly and Star Wars. I came to Firefly after the series was canceled but I would have been one of the voices screaming at Fox for canceling it if I'd seen it then. But I love the way the story progresses, and how the movie Serenity expands on the story (even if they possibly make a continuity error at the beginning).

Star Wars. I've been a huge fan since I was a kid. I think part of it was my mom went to see Episode IV while she was still pregnant with me. I saw all three of the movies before I was ten many times. My parents owned them all on VHS (does this date me or what?) by the time I was a teenager. We must have worn through them more than once because I know my parents replaced them several times before finally buying the trilogy in a gold box.

When the prequels came out, I saw each of them on the opening day. I'm one of the many who thought Jar Jar Binks was annoying and the movie could have progressed without him. I also watched the animated Star Wars Clone Wars so I know how the story progressed between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

Another two shows I loved are Farscape and Babylon 5. Farscape is what happens when a human is thrown into a distant galaxy by an outside force through a wormhole and ends up on a living ship full of escaped prisoners. He's forever trying to get home but things don't always work out the way he wants them to.

Babylon 5, if you haven't seen it, shows a more political side to science fiction. A lot of it is based on the interactions between several races. It's such an intricate pattern of storylines that I just can't describe it very well. It's also got several movies and a short spin off series that came of it. It's really amazing.

It's too bad but too many of the fantasy series haven't had much of an impact on me. I haven't seen Once Upon a Time or Sleepy Hollow, and both of them I've heard are good. I'll have to see what they're like. OUAT is on Netflix so I'm hoping to get a chance to see it soon.

Movies, on the other hand, I can list a lot of fantasy movies that I love and tend to geek out about. The obvious choices are of course the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm not as fond of The Hobbit, though I've only seen the beginning of the trilogy. I love the grand scape of the movies, the way they cast it, and how they filmed it. I have a lot of favorite scenes, but the one that brings me to tears every time is the end of Return of the King where Aragorn tells the hobbits that they bow to no one and kneels before them.

I'm an animation fan too. I love Frozen, Brave, How to Train Your Dragon. Anime is something else I'm fond of, both series and movies. The list goes on and on with visual media. Then there are so many I could go on and on for hours about it.

What are your favorite fantasy/sci fi movies/tv series?

(We'll talk books and authors in another post. :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment