A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Fight scenes

I don't know about you, but there are two types of scenes that I absolutely hate writing: sex scenes and fight scenes. Sex scenes I end up giggling too much and just can't get into the mood to write them. Fight scenes are tough because I've never been in a fight in my life and the only self defense class I took was judo and that was years ago when I was in high school. It also didn't last long. I was in terrible shape and my parents didn't think it was a good idea for me to keep learning it.

So what am I supposed to do? Luckily I found an excellent book to help me. Rayne Hall's How to Write Fight Scenes. It can be found here on Amazon. I highly recommend it if you're trying to write a credible fight scene.

Ms. Hall gives you a lot of different perspectives, including how males fight compared to how females fight. She talks about different weapons and the effects they have for making wounds. She gives you the breakdown of a way a fight scene should be structured. The book is full of good advice and excellent examples. She also gives you a list of mistakes to avoid at the end of each chapter.

I highly recommend this book if you're having trouble writing fight scenes. I know it's helped me figure out how to write better fight scenes and it could possibly help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment