A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

The universe as set up for Fury

Okay, so I did say I was going to put something up from my work on my NaNo novel. I have to say I'm not quite ready to do that, so I thought I'd introduce you to another story I've just finished my first pass edits/revisions on. That is my story I've given the working title of Fury.

Fury is set in the future. It deals with a conflict between a group of central worlds and the colonies that separated from them. The reason for the split was because those who chose the colonies wanted less tech in their lives. The central worlds are a tech heavy bunch of planets where nature has taken a backseat to tech that is slowly destroying the central worlds.

The colonies are low tech, as much as they can be at least. There are some mid level tech things, but nothing like you'd find in the central worlds. The colonies are generally focused on what the planet can produce without destroying the planet for the most part. There are a few worlds that have a harder time maintaining the healthy atmospheres the rest of the colonies do.

The colonies and the central worlds are always in some sort of conflict, whether it's because of trade embargoes, open hostilities, or just trying to make the colonists – called colonials by the central worlds as a derogatory term – very uncomfortable in the central worlds so they retreat back to their home planets. There are no FTL drives so everything takes time to get to. It can be very uncomfortable for colonists to travel because the Port Authority tends not to sell first class tickets to colonists on return trips from the core.

I chose this setting because of the fact that I love the concept of a small universe that is conflicted. I also used a slightly familiar political construct that should be recognizable to anyone who knows a little bit about history. I wanted to show the disparity between the way the central worlds and their Assembly act and the colonies and their semi-ruling body the Eleven and how they work.

5 comments:

  1. So hoping this doesn't cause you problems in writing- although you at least have first draft and first revisions done- but my first thought reading this much about "Fury" makes me wonder how you've made it different from the world Joss Whedon built for "Firefly." I agree though- small universes are intriguing in sci-fi because then you don't quite need fantastic things like hyper-drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up a good point. I've seen Firefly multiple times and I will admit some of what's going on was inspired by it. Hm. Maybe I need to rethink it a little more.

      Delete
    2. Maybe all you need is some small tweaks to make sure that the story is yours and that nothing is too similar. After all, isn't what you have set up an accepted trope in your genre?

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it's going to be an interesting one! As a huge fan of Firefly, I of course love anything along those lines. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. satta Matka

    satta Matka Be sure you can differentiate between Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

    ReplyDelete