A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Monday, September 23, 2013

Authors Welcome - Book reviews on my blog

(Image taken from here)

I stopped doing book reviews because of the kerfuffle on Goodreads and Amazon where authors and fans flamed each other for their reviews. It's not that I don't want to review the books I've read. It's that I'm afraid of being flamed for my reviews.

I don't know what started the most recent mess other than an author responded (poorly, from my understanding) to a review and a flame war started. I think it's ridiculous. Personally, as I rethink my position on book reviews (hey, I've got over 100 books to review via my Kindle app that were free for a time on Amazon as well as the Song of Ice and Fire books) I want to make things very clear as to what I expect from visitors to my blog.

1. Be polite. If your opinion differs from mine, that's fine. Don't come up and tell me "Nuh uh, you're wrong!" and then whine like a little baby. Explain why you think I'm wrong. Share your opinions with me. I am always open to discussions on my blog.

2. No name calling. This should go with be polite, but I'm reiterating it here. Don't call me, fellow commenters, or authors names. Don't badmouth the author just because you've got some kind of grudge against them.

3. No flaming. Again, part of being polite but really, should I even have to write these rules? Aren't they all common sense? Don't feed the trolls. Inevitably there are going to be those who disregard the rules. Ignore them and go on with your own discourse.

Keep things civil, even if you disagree, and things will work out very well. My opinions on the books are my own and in no way, shape, or form reflect my opinion of the author. It is based solely on the writing and the story only.

No comments:

Post a Comment