A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Thursday Thoughts - Video games and writers

I know this is going to sound odd, but I believe that writers should play video games. I don't mean just any video games either. Play the ones with stories behind them. Learn how the stories are told. It's a great way to see storytelling through a different medium.

Now, I'll admit my video game of choice doesn't have a specific story behind it. Instead it inspires me to write my own stories as I play. That would be Sims 3. I hope one day to have Sims Medieval because that fits better with the type of stories I normally write but I have fun playing Sims 3 because I get to make characters and decide what they do with their lives.

Sometimes the Sims do what they want to do instead of waiting for me to tell them to do something. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's annoying, sometimes it's necessary. But that's how characters are when it comes to writing stories too. There are days where my characters don't do what I want them to do because as far as they're concerned it doesn't fit with the story. They're usually right, and I write them the way they want to be written. There are those times however where I refuse to budge on my vision and they grudgingly fall in line with what I'm writing.

I'm not suggesting you spend all your free time playing video games. Then you wouldn't get any writing done and then what would be the point of being a writer? Take an hour or two a day, or a week, or however you want to do it. Find a video game that draws your attention and looks like it has a fascinating story. Sit down and play that video game. Get to know the characters, the story, and the mechanics behind the game.

Who knows? You might find a story idea or a way out of writer's block if you're suffering from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment