A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Friday, July 22, 2011

Well, there goes my last shred of faith in our justice system

Mother whose son was killed in hit-and-run faces 2 years in jail for jaywalking

I just...

I mean...

WHAT THE FUCK, PEOPLE?

I have no words to express how much of an outrage this is to me.  A mother of four children is about to be sentenced to two years in jail for cutting across the street - like everyone else was doing - when the guy that murdered - yes, I said MURDERED - her four year old son got 6 months?  How the HELL is that justice?

The man admitted he was popping pain pills and drinking when he ran this woman and her children down.  The four year old was killed.  And the guy drove off without any thought to the family he'd just hurt.  And they gave him SIX FREAKING MONTHS?  And she's getting TWO YEARS because she was trying to get her kids home and inside faster?  That is seriously some fucked up shit going on in Georgia.

I understand jaywalking is illegal.  But when you're one of a dozen or more doing it, and the cops single you out when you lose your child to an asshole who's driving intoxicated and who speeds off into the night, that's just wrong.  The fact that the article says the public is largely unsympathetic to her just makes it worse.  She just lost her son.  Now her children will lose their mother.  Those kids, if their dad isn't in the picture and there isn't a family member willing to take over their care, will end up in some kind of foster care situation through CPS.

Let's not get me on the soapbox about CPS.  I think that, for the most part, the people who are in it are powermongering hypocrites, liars, and home wreckers.  There is NOTHING you will say that will convince me otherwise.  Yes they do serve a purpose, and there are those times when they do good.  But all of the times they've done good have been washed away by the gross miscarriage of their power that I've seen and experienced.

To be perfectly honest, my heart goes out to this woman and her children.  I don't think we should condemn a tired mother for trying to take the fastest route home with her children.  In the middle of a heat wave.  After they'd already missed their first bus.  I think we should condemn the bastard who ran them down.  I think we should condemn the prosecutor, the judge, and the jury who are persecuting this woman because of this situation.  I think we should condemn the hard heartedness of the general public in her area because no mother should ever have to go through the agony of losing her child and find herself on the wrong end of a legal witch hunt.

That's my .02 on this.  Feel free to discuss in the comments.  I'm off my soapbox for now.

4 comments:

  1. I don't really have anything to add, except that I agree with you. Talk about warped priorities. How does a case like this even go to trial?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this the other day and my reaction was exactly the same, except less articulate. I think it was closer to "rawwwwr". I feel so bad for that mom right now, and angry at the justice system that's done this to her. Also, how do you commit vehicular homicide when you're not driving?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anassa: That's a very good question, and one I wish they'd address in their sentencing. Hopefully she'll just get a suspended sentence. Even if her being convicted was wrong at least that will keep her together with her kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I didn't feel like our country was disintegrating.... !!!
    Ann Best, Author of In the Memoir, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

    ReplyDelete