A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Friday, July 29, 2011

Freaky Food Friday - Support your local food banks

Hello all~

I'm taking a break from recipes to talk to you about something that I've been forced to rely on in the past and may have to rely on again here very soon: food banks.

Food banks are marvelous aids to those who don't have enough money to purchase food for themselves.  For some food banks are the difference between extreme hunger (possibly even starvation) and having a meal to put on the table.  I've had to live on the charity of others before, and the food banks were a real blessing.  There were two we frequented as often as we were allowed.  They knew us and by the end of our stint of relying on them for food, they counted us as among their regulars and would occasionally toss in an extra treat or two into our boxes.

Right now I've hit a financial crunch and may be forced to rely on the local food bank again to get me through the next two weeks.  I'm hoping something else will come through for us but I'm not holding my breath.  My family is unsupportive and most of my friends are barely making it paycheck to paycheck like I am.  I know very little about the local food bank, other than when we were in a better place we donated food and gave up all of the points on our grocery store rewards card to buy two 15 lbs. turkeys for them over Thanksgiving.  They're by appointment only so I don't even know if they're going to be willing to help us.

But that is the point I want to bring up - donations.  Food banks live and thrive on donations.  Whether its donations of food from grocery stores that's close to its expiration date (yes, it's still good for a short time so they aren't handing out expired food) or people donating spare food from their pantries or shopping trips, they survive only through the help of others.

So if you get a chance, donate to one of your local food banks.  They'll appreciate it and you never know when the tables might be turned and you'll need their help.

No comments:

Post a Comment