A bridge over a beautiful waterfall

A bridge over a beautiful waterfall
Nature brings magic

Friday, February 28, 2014

Short Story - Kayin's Wrath, Part One



This takes place a century after the events in Marked, so you can see a glimpse of the world that was. The Majin, or so they call themselves now, are only beginning to venture out of their valley. They're curious how the world has changed. But it's not as different as they hoped.
___

Kayin Monette stood on the edge of the crowd gathered around the fresh grave. The cleric finished his eulogy and people began tossing flowers and dirt onto the casket. Kayin unraveled the threads that kept her from being seen. No one seemed to notice her odd entrance. Thank the Goddess for that, she thought. The last thing she needed was a panic to cause more deaths.
Kayin tossed a wreath made of star eye blossoms and golden drops onto the wooden lid before turning and limping away. It was harder to get around and soon she would have to give some thought to returning to the valley. She was like so many of the Majin, curious about the world but uncomfortable in it. It was only one hundred cycles since their flight to the valley. It was now easier for them to move freely about Lytharia, but things weren't settled yet. There were those in the valley, among the oldest of them all, who still remembered the dark days.
Most of the mourners barely glanced at her. All they saw was a half-crippled woman. They passed her by without taking note of her eye color. Only one person stopped to take a very good look at her face. He looked like just another villager, slightly wealthier than most, but still very common.
She made her way towards the village, ignoring him though she kept an eye on his threads. When they began to shift, she dove to the side. A globe of burning light passed over where she'd been.
“You do not know who you've challenged,” Kayin said. Her hands moved and the man screamed as his body bent and contorted. “Tell me, are you the one who killed Fenrod?”
The mage managed to get one hand free. He gestured and Kayin heard a low growl. She looked over her shoulder. A construct that looked to be a remorth crossed with a bronmar lunged towards her. The antlers sprouting out of the beast's head were spiked at the end.
Kayin threw the mage back as she dodged his monstrous creation. She reached out and started unraveling its threads. She dodged it a few more times before with a groan the creature collapsed, falling into its separate parts.
Only the rush of air warned her of the mage's spell. She whirled around and caught him once more in her threads. “Demon,” he yelled.
“Look who's talking,” Kayin said. “You're the one who attacked me. Did you kill Fenrod?”
“All of you silver eyed devils must die,” he said. “My grandfather taught us that. The Emperor was tricked by you. You used your unnatural power on him and seized your freedom by trickery and force.”
Kayin twisted his threads. His scream was cut off as she wrapped one around his throat. “Fanatics like you are the reason we're still being murdered,” Kayin said. “That is something we do not tolerate.” She tightened the line around his throat. He scrabbled at it with his hands, turning purple as she cut off his air. She held him until he went limp. She released him. He dropped to the ground in a heap.
“Murderer,” a woman cried.
“He attacked me first,” Kayin said. “Of course I'm going to defend myself. Not to mention he killed one of my dearest friends.”
“You're a murderer,” the woman repeated. She looked around. “She should die.”
“You stand accused of a grave crime,” a man in the flowing robes of a cleric of the Guardians “You will have to face judgment.”
“I'll pass that now,” an aging man in fine clothes said. “Siward was the aggressor. She didn't do anything more than protect herself. Also, Siward created an abomination when he was told to stop his experimentation. I'd have put him to death anyway. This woman just saved me the time.”
“My husband did nothing wrong,” the woman said.
“He deserved his fate and that's my final word on it. If you don't like what I've done, take yourself out of this town because I have the final word,” the man said. He approached Kayin. “I'm Algar Kolar, mayor of Clearhaven.”
“Kayin Monette of the Majin,” Kayin said.
“Mistress Monette, I would very much enjoy it if you joined me for the midday meal in a candlemark,” Algar said.
“It's very obvious I'm not welcome here,” Kayin said.
“If anything happens to you I'll either exile them or have them killed,” Algar said. “Please, don't let the actions of one man sway you from enjoying my hospitality.”
“I would be honored, Mayor Kolar, to accept your offer,” Kayin said.
“Then I'll see you in a candlemark,” Algar said. “You may ask anyone here to show you to my house.” He strode off.
A woman in black came forward, a young boy clinging to her skirt. “You're Kayin Monette?” she asked.
“I am,” Kayin said. “You must be Agata.” The woman nodded. “Fenrod often talked about you.”
“I'm glad he was so fond of me,” Agata said. “There were some days where I know he wanted to be back in the valley, but I didn't think it would be safe for Yrian to travel so far until he was older.”
“The road can be dangerous,” Kayin said. “Fenrod could do many things, but we're not all powerful. We can be killed, as you saw.”
Agata nodded. “Do you – do you know if Yrian will have the silver eyes?”
“There isn't any way to know until someone starts playing with the threads,” Kayin said. “That's what turns our eyes silver.”
“Why would anyone want to kill my da?” Yrian asked. “Da never hurt people. He just farmed and went to market. He took care of us.”
“Agata, did Fenrod ever tell you or Yrian the history of our people?” Kayin asked.
“He told me,” Agata said. “He said he'd tell Yrian one day.”
“Then I think he should know why someone hunted his father down,” Kayin said. “I could tell him but it might be easier for him if you did.”
“I'll do that,” Agata said. “When we get home. He deserves to know how cruel people can be.” “Mistress Monette, it's not going to be safe for you on the streets or at the inn. Why don't you come to our house for a little while? When it's time I'll show you where the mayor lives.”
Kayin saw several of the townsfolk watching her again. The wary look on some of their faces warned her. “I think I'd better,” she said. The three of them walked off together.

No comments:

Post a Comment